Tuesday, February 26, 2008

CoD4 Radiant: update

I've discovered some new tools for working with terrain patches as well as some good recommendations. The first is the advanced patch editor, which I found a well done tutorial for on a CoD2 mapping board.1 It works the same in CoD4 Radiant. So rather than manually adjusting the height at each vertex of the patch or manually selecting a row this tool allows me to easily manipulate and smooth terrain without any of that manual work. Once you use it you'll get the idea. I also came accross a thread on how many alpha patches to take into consideration for performance.2



I still have a bit more tidying up to do, meaning fixing the terrain patched and adding the missing ones. Now that I know from other peoples experience that the performance cost for the size of map I'm making shouldn't matter, should make the job easier.
Progress is coming along, I've still been concentrating on terrain and alpha textures and am nearly ready to move on. I was having a difficult time adjusting patches to the curved and banked road that I implemented, especially because it's off any of the simple grids (adjusting stuff in grid ~0.5 is a pain).
As for new stuff, I've added some brushes as templates for my structures. I still need to work out the design issues for the map. I've gotten some portions of the map worked out as of now but I'm still lacking other the other parts of the layout. So as soon as I work out the design kinks and get all the templates on, I'll begin prefabbing my structures using the templates as models.

1. CoD4 Radiant: advanced patch editor tutorial
2. CoD4 Radiant: performance constraints of detailed terrain

No comments: