Wednesday, February 13, 2008

CoD4 Radiant: MP_???

Radiant's fun now, so I decided to try putting some of my own ideas into perspective and see how they played. The first challenge I had coming into this was scaling the map. Luckily the IW wiki contains a very useful resource with Radiant measurements for common objects, such as roads, prone cover, or ceiling height.1 Also very useful to this process is adding the model "mw_scale_soldier" as a reference piece, it's surrounded by two circles that are indicative of submachinegun and rifle range. Yet in spite of having the odds in my favor, the scale I finally decided on was too small. The map played fine but ended up being a better size for 4v4 than the 16v16 TDMs I'd like to accommodate.
In addition to that problem, I ended up with rainbow colored hands because forgot to add a light grid, but I did find an explanation on how to do that.2 You might also notice I added a bridge with an arched passage way, woohoo a new tool!3 The tool I used to make the triangle on the other hand was something I accidentally figured out. So here's my explanation... Step 1: make a brush. Step 2: Hold ctrl and RMB click outside of the brush. Step 3: Keep holding ctrl bring the mouse to the other side of the brush and RMB click. Step 4: Let go. Step 5: You should see a preview of your work. Step 5: press Enter and say bye bye to that useless piece you just cut off! Hope that helped.


1 COD4 Radiant: Gameplay standards
2 CoD4 Radiant: Creating a grid file
3 CoD4 Radiant: Making arches

Note: Here's a short vid that helped me understand the mapping process.

No comments: